[squeak-dev] Re: Squeak 4

Markus Fritsche fritsche.markus at gmx.net
Tue Sep 30 20:29:03 UTC 2008

Craig Latta wrote:

>      I'm adapting Naiad (Spoon's module system) to the minimal object
> memory, then folks can start creating modules from existing licensed code.

So, for my understanding, there are some main threads within the squeak
community...

I read (a bit) about the sapphire/ pharo events.

Stef et al are reimplementing the smalltalk kernel by tailoring taking a
squeak 3.10 image, tailoring it to a 'known working'-non-etoys image,
experimenting with the kernel image with non graphics, taking the
file-ins for the sunit test of the 3.x images making them work (and, for
instance, making the ColorTest>>#testPrintHtmlString test work by
implementing a cleanroom implementation of Color>>#printHtmlSting) and
finally targetted to support "Universe loads". The goal is to transform
the tools and methods provided by squeak, squeakvm etc. to an
environment where 'low-level-code' (i.e. the compiler) does not rely on
'high-level-code' (i. e., graphics, browser).

Naiad, (or Spoon, as I have seen it) relies on 'imprinting' and
'unification'. A Naiad system will be basically build up by running test
which pull the necessary functionality 'automagically' from a providing
project. This means, whenever a class behaviour, a class instance
behaviour, pool dictionaries, etc. are accessed, Naiad pulls the
necessary things from a complete image, making sure that all needed
behaviour for a target system has been pulled by complete tests (Oh well
- erm - I am most probably horribly wrong, so please correct me!).
Everything named by the developer with a string will be uuid'ed, which
means that uuids will be the id, followed by the name if not resolvable.

Both approaches share the license-clean approach. So if I'd like to
provide fixes, code, implementation ideas to these, I'll have to sign a
license agreement that my changes to-be-contributed will be MIT-licensed
as this is the license to go, as it serves the smalltalk-squeak freedom
to be used both in closed-source-distributed-images and
open-source-distributed-images... right!? (Please correct me if I'm wrong).

I am just revisting squeak/ smalltalk/ et al and as there are no "Zack's
squeak news", it's very hard to assess the recent developments. And it's
not easy to paraphrase my (probably wrong) findings without being
insulting too, I think :-(

Kind regards,
 		Markus