[squeak-dev] re: Squeak 4

Craig Latta craig at netjam.org
Tue Sep 30 21:19:35 UTC 2008

Hi Markus--

 > Naiad, (or Spoon, as I have seen it)...

      Spoon is the working name for the whole system, Naiad is the
module system part.

 > ...relies on 'imprinting' and 'unification'. A Naiad system will be
 > basically build up by running test which pull the necessary
 > functionality 'automagically' from a providing project.

      We could do things this way, but I suspect most authors will do a
lot of manual fine-tuning, to make sure that their modules contain
exactly what they intend and nothing else. Imprinting really comes into
play when a finished module is transferred between one live system and
another.

 > Everything named by the developer with a string will be uuid'ed, which
 > means that uuids will be the id, followed by the name if not
 > resolvable.

      Every version of every module, author, class, and metaclass has a
UUID. Methods are uniquely identified by a combination of a class or
metaclass version and a selector. Names are never needed to transfer
behavior between systems.

 > Both approaches share the license-clean approach. So if I'd like to
 > provide fixes, code, implementation ideas to these, I'll have to sign
 > a license agreement that my changes to-be-contributed will be
 > MIT-licensed as this is the license to go, as it serves the
 > smalltalk-squeak freedom to be used both in
 > closed-source-distributed-images and open-source-distributed-images...
 > right!? (Please correct me if I'm wrong).

      You'll need to have signed and returned the Squeak project
contributor's agreement to have your code included in the official
Squeak releases, and the agreement is MIT-style, yes.

      thanks again,

-C