[squeak-dev] [Q] BitTorrent Implementation in Squeak

Joshua Gargus schwa at fastmail.us
Wed Apr 8 16:07:29 UTC 2009

karl ramberg wrote:
> I think the Croquet Teatime implementation was inspired from BitTorrent

There's actually no relationship between them, other than both using
"P2P networking" (and each means something different by the term).
BitTorrent is focused on getting everyone all the chunks of a file
efficiently, but in no particular order.  Croquet aims to maintain
identical replicas of a groups of objects with minimimal latency; it
does this by ensuring that each peer receives an identical stream of
messages.

A BitTorrent implementation could be used in Croquet to share large,
immutable data chunks (such as meshes or textures) that don't need to be
available at an exact time (just ASAP).

Cheers,
Josh