[squeak-dev] Is anyone maintaining a VM for Linux on the ARM architecture?

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Sun Apr 12 08:34:43 UTC 2009

Ok, further to this, I had some nice engineers at Apple give me some
feedback on Virtual memory on the iPhone.  One thought was to look at
mincore -- determine residency of memory pages, refer to sys/mman.h
because man page is incorrect,
So let's see what is up.

First I had to cleanup things a bit to ensure the VM or the image
didn't march thru all the objects when starting up via allInstances.

After this, with a development image which is  5MB larger than the
wikiserver image I found..

3937 pages to hold image file (old space, no young space).

2823 pages NOT in memory

139 pages MINCORE_INCORE
786 pages MINCORE_REFERENCED & incore
189 pages MINCORE_MODIFIED & incore  & referenced

So I'm sure Craig will grin, shades of work he is doing at the object
level, but here we have a image
of 16,125,952 bytes,  but only 4,562,944 bytes (more or less) is
active for what it's doing, anyway the
key effort was to avoid allInstances and a full GC at startup time so
that we don't drag all  3937pages
into RAM from flash.