[squeak-dev] Can you launch a squeak image on an etoys vm in Ubuntu?

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Mon Apr 13 08:18:33 UTC 2009

On 13.04.2009, at 00:14, Jerome Peace wrote:

> Hi all and especially Bert,
>
> I am thinking about a work around to get sound going on my
> development images.
>
> So far on Ubuntu I've found I can make launchers with commands
>
> like
>
> squeak -image MySqueak
>
> and it will launch something other than the installed 3.9 image.

If you add the -vm-sound-OSS option to this command line, doesn't it
work?

> for etoys the installed launcher has
> '/usr/bin/etoys'
>
> as a command which runs the etoys shell script.
>
> The shell script seems to recognize a -r alt.image option
>
> but I have not been able to get it to work for me.
>
> I've tried it both inside and outside the single quotes above.
>
> What am I missing?

Please attach your "etoys" script version. My version of the script
accepts a "--image" argument:

http://etoys.laptop.org/src/etoys.in

In any case you should be able to just use the VM that is included in
the etoys app structure.

- Bert -