[squeak-dev] Can you launch a squeak image on an etoys vm in Ubuntu?

Jerome Peace peace_the_dreamer at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 14 19:40:15 UTC 2009

>Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
>Tue Apr 14 07:39:24 UTC 2009 wrote:
>
>On 14.04.2009, at 02:31, Jerome Peace wrote:
>
>> Hi Bert
>>
>> Making a launcher with the command
>> squeak -vm-sound-OSS
>> then clicking on the launcher does not open any image at all.
>
>Well what image are you giving? We seem to be talking past each other.

Ah. Complicated by the fact that I started talking about two things
and have kept it up.

This first part is about trying to get the squeak command (using the default
squeak image) to have sound. This doesn't work because the -vm-sound-OSS driver
is not present in the installed squeak package. That is what is driving the previous
posts. The fix is to get the squeak.org offering to include the correct packages.
This is the previous subject. For which we have your offer of help but still no
takers for the task itself.

The other part and what I was focusing on here was the possibility of getting the
etoys command to load with an image of my choosing. I have not gotten knowledgable enough to find something that works. And from what you've written below the problem is the etoys.sh script. So next step is experimenting with shell scripting. Which I was trying to avoid. Another vast area of ignorance for me presently.

Ah well, learning is fun. And I wouldn't be a bug tracker if I didn't enjoy the feeling of frustration.

Thanks for your continuing help. Expect more questions soon.