[squeak-dev] Re: Can you launch a squeak image on an etoys vm in Ubuntu?

Jerome Peace peace_the_dreamer at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 15 07:05:04 UTC 2009

>Chris Kassopulo ckasso at sprynet.com
>Tue Apr 14 02:00:01 UTC 2009 wrote:
>

>On Mon, 13 Apr 2009 17:31:17 -0700, Jerome Peace wrote:
>
>> Hi Bert
>>
>> Making a launcher with the command
>> squeak -vm-sound-OSS
>> then clicking on the launcher does not open any image at all.
>>

>> --- On Mon, 4/13/09, Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de> wrote:
>>
>>> From: Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de> Subject: Re: [squeak-dev]
>>> Can you launch a squeak image on an etoys vm in Ubuntu? To:
>>> peace_the_dreamer at yahoo.com, "The general-purpose Squeak developers
>>> list" <squeak-dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org> Date: Monday, April 13,

>>> on my

>>> with commands

>>> 3.9 image.
>>>
>>> If you add the -vm-sound-OSS option to this command line, doesn't it
>>> work?

>>> option

>>> quotes above.

>>> Please attach your "etoys" script version. My version of the script
>>> accepts a "--image" argument:
>>>
>> I am attaching the etoys.sh script from etoys.app its different than
>> yours.
>>
>> I tried adding -image myImage.image to the etoys command. I am getting a
>> can't move to directory/file not present error.
>>
>> Remember I am still in the "removing ignorance gently mode" of Ubuntu
>> learning. Apparently I am not describing the file path correctly. I've
>> tried several variations but haven't hit on the right one yet.
>>
>>> http://etoys.laptop.org/src/etoys.in
>>>
>>> In any case you should be able to just use the VM that is included in
>>> the etoys app structure.
>>>
>>> - Bert -
>

>I was told via bug report that Ubuntu doesn't support OSS at all.
>
>It is the opposite of what you are trying to do but on my Ubuntu box,
>I removed the Ubuntu squeak related packages and installed the DEB
>squeak-vm package.  I can open squeak and etoys images with the
>command: squeak /path_to_image/image_name.image and sound works.

Atually this sounds like it is on the path to a solution.

Can we get a DEB package that we can offer from the website in such a way
that when Ubuntu goes searching for a squeak to install it installs that vm?

Bert: That that sound like the way to go?

>Note to Jerome - you can type commands from a "terminal".  Edit
>previous commands by using uparrow.  You get more feedback in a
>terminal.  Applications>>Accessories>>Terminal

Very good suggestion. I did find this very informative.
And the workaround is:

/usr/share/Etoys.app/Contents/Linux686/etoys
	-plugins /usr/share/Etoys.app/Contents/Linux686/
		  /home/MyHome/squeak.image

That will start the squeak image with sound.
The /usr/share/Etoys.app/Contents/Linux686/ path is where squeakland installed my etoys
And /home/MyHome/squeak.image is where Ubuntu via squeak.org installed the default squeak image.

And I did experience the problem you described below. I needed to use the world menu for quiting.

Second workaround:
squeak -plugins /usr/share/Etoys.app/Contents/Linux686/  /home/MyHome/squeak.image

That launches the default image with the default squeak vm using the etoys plugins
The image then has sound. Clicking the top right x on the window quits w/o asking for confirmation.

So now the work around is known. Time to get back to solving the original problem.
In another post perhaps.

>The only problem encountered is that squeak does not respond to
>closing of its host window.  Etoys puts up a confirmation message box.
>I remember seeing something in the archives about fixes to the vm in
>how that is handled, but it also requires changes to the image.  Are
>those changes available?

I have no idea on that. See work around two.