[squeak-dev] Linux package maintainers need help

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Thu Apr 16 09:18:31 UTC 2009

On 16.04.2009, at 07:21, Milan Zimmermann wrote:

> On April 15, 2009, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
> <<snip>>
> > Maybe having a mailing list specifically for maintainers would be
> > useful?
>
> Yes! We could suggest to Tim we create squeak-etoys-maintainers list
> at squeakland (or maybe it belongs to squeak)?, and advertise it's
> existence on the main distros.

It should be a squeak.org list - the VM is not Etoys-specific. How
does packagers at squeak.org sound?

> We can offer to the subscribed maintainers that:
> - it would be reasonably low volume
> - the squeak and etoys community would report distro-specific problems
> - the squeak and etoys community would monitor it for questions and
> try to help

Not quite. IMHO this should not be a list for users to report bugs. It
would be a list specifically for maintainers to discuss packaging
issues, to alert packagers of new releases, and to provide a help
forum for them. But it should be driven by the needs of maintainers,
not as a general complaint sink. The volume then would be in control
of the maintainers, and indeed be expected to be rather low.

> So I think we should first create the list ,come up with a standard
> (nothing too complicated) email that we send to the main distros
> lists.

Sounds reasonable.

- Bert -