[squeak-dev] Pasting unicode (was Re: Pharo:: Re: Cuis update)

Juan Vuletich juan at jvuletich.org
Thu Apr 16 10:23:37 UTC 2009

Bert Freudenberg wrote:
> On 16.04.2009, at 09:24, Andreas Raab wrote:
>
>> Bèrto ëd Sèra wrote:
>>> Yes. This thing is *extremely* annoying. You can cut and paste any
>>> string to anything, but you cannot do it in squeak.
>>
>> Really? I don't recall seeing a bug report from you. What platform
>> are you on? What problems did you have? You really should report such
>> problems when you have them - how do you expect us to fix problems
>> that we don't know about?
>

> Err, we know quite well about these problems. Typing unicode chars
> don't work because the utf32 charcode is not used by the released
> image. To paste unicode text on the Mac you would need the image
> support for the extendend clipboard plugin. But even if typing or
> pasting works, the fonts only cover the latin-1 range, not full
> unicode. Neither Freetype nor HostFonts nor Pango support is in the
> released image, nor did we standardize on one.
>
> All of these issues have been solved already, but did not make it into
> a release afaik.
>
> - Bert -

I hope all this works as an argument for considering Unicode optional in
Cuis. Or does anybody expect that besides doing 5 years of cleaning
towards a simpler and faster image, I also need to address all these
issues myself?

The whole idea of optional packages is to draw a boundary between the
kernel and each of them, to allow different people to focus on different
problems.

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich