[squeak-dev] Re: [Vm-dev] Re: Pasting unicode (was Re: Pharo:: Re: Cuis update)

Juan Vuletich juan at jvuletich.org
Sat Apr 18 20:25:19 UTC 2009

Andreas Raab wrote:

> Juan Vuletich wrote:
>> BTW, the image needs to deal with different VMs using various
>> encoding for clipboard data. Currently, a check is made, to assume
>> UTF-8 if on Windows, and MacRoman elsewhere. It seems Mac will
>> support UTF-8 soon.
>>
>> I think we need a new primitive, perhaps #clipboardEncoding, or
>> #vmTextEncoding, that could answer UTF-8 / MacRoman / ASCII and may
>> be others. That would ease supporting various VMs with the same image.
>>
>> WRT keyboard events, it seems not to be necessary. VMs store Unicode
>> keystrokes in different slots in the event buffer, than the one used
>> for MacRoman. So, the image can tell, right?
>>
>> What do you think?
>
> Although you are technically correct, I think the days of Latin1 only
> support are simply over and I would prefer to move forward and leave
> them completely behind us. The best way to achieve this is when all
> VMs use UTF-8 everywhere and all VMs produce Unicode input characters.
> The changes to support this aren't difficult (just a bit tedious) and
> the image side is trivial for those images that don't need (or want)
> to support Unicode. I really don't see any value in fiddling with
> different encodings since UTF-8 is both canonical and well supported.
>
> Cheers,
>   - Andreas

You are right. The only reason is that it might take time until VMs are
available for all platforms. My proposal allows for a smoother
transition, and it would also allow people to continue using older VMs
without much trouble. As you know, the image side changes to allow this
are easy too.

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich