[squeak-dev] Ubuntu package maintainers help

Jerome Peace peace_the_dreamer at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 18 23:25:37 UTC 2009

Hi Bert and all,

Response to Berts reply:
http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2009-April/135572.html

>>> In the closed-source world (Mac, Win) typically the software authors
>>> provide binary packages for end users. This is even true for open-
>>> source software on these platforms, the authors provide ready-to-
>>> install packages, separate from with the source code. That's why we
>>> have Windows and Mac downloads on our website. It's a one-size-fits-
>>> all approach, and all work is done by the authors.
>
>> I would like to see something like this for Ubuntu. I think it is a
>> good place to start. It gives a reasonable goal to shoot for.
>> Lessons learned can then be applied to other squeak distro's one by
>> one.
>
>That already exists, but maybe Matej could need a hand:
>
>http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/3616

If he asks for help and there is help I can give, okay.

In the meantime I note that he is focused on debian which spawns ubuntu. It is not exactly the same. And not the same in the minds of Ubuntu's users.

On our download website their is no specific mention of Ubuntu which impedes navigation.

Also the information presented to linux users requires way too many decisions for someone just getting started. Trust me on this.

We can address this. It is something I would like to oversight board not to overlook. If you will pardon the pun.

>>> Not so in Linux. Here, building the binary packages that fit into a
>>> specific Linux distribution is typically done by users of that Linux
>>> version.
>>
>> That was not true of the etoys installation from squeakland. It does
>> not have to be true for distro's squeak.org supplies.
>
>Squeakland should provide only Mac and Win installers, and work with
>the distros to carry an up-to-date Etoys package.
>
>Right now there also is an RPM and a DEB package at squeakland, but I
>see that as a thing of the past. It already leads to confusion when
>people try to combine those packages with the ones from their distro.
>The squeakland packages are not even a good model how to package Etoys
>but more of a hack.

A hack that saves the day is rather welcome IMHO.

Why do you say it is a thing of the past. The distro's distribute a squeak that doesn't work.
That's a thing of the current. It doesn't become a thing of the past until people outside of this community act. That action presently is in the realm of vaporware or REAL-SOON-NOW.

I have had no response to my addition to Chris's Ubuntu bug report. This indicates the future will not come soon.

Meanwhile people need their software to work.

As a developer I wish to distribute to audiences with fully functioning squeaks and etoys.
Or know it can't be done and move on elsewhere.
Right now it is undecided. Though I find your last post most discouraging. Is that what you intended?