[squeak-dev] Ubuntu package maintainers help

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Sun Apr 19 19:38:08 UTC 2009

On 19.04.2009, at 20:03, Matej Kosik wrote:

> Bert Freudenberg wrote:
>>
>> Even Debian did not object to the licensing anymore - it's in non-
>> free
>> because they do not like the idea of purely image-based development.
>> Which is one of the reason why I'm only shooting for VM packages
>> for now.
>
> This approach does not make sense to me. What is the point of
> including
> Squeak VM to Debian without image(s) and sources? It would mean that
> half of the things is distributed in one way (through Debian
> repositories) and other things (images & sources) are distributed in
> other ways (users have to hunt for right kind of image and right
> kind of
> sources on the web). In my opinion, this approach is chaotic.
>
> Including Squeak VM to Debian repositories could have been done
> anytime.
> I did try to do that because it alone makes little sense (my opinion).

In my opinion it does, and it solves the hardest problem first (see my
reply to Subbu).

Going for all-or-nothing just prolongs the current undesirable
situation unnecessarily. I'm proposing to go step by step. Of course,
the people actually doing the work will decide on their own which path
to take.

- Bert -