[squeak-dev] Re: Ubuntu package maintainers help

Matej Kosik kosik at fiit.stuba.sk
Sun Apr 19 21:39:56 UTC 2009

José Luis Redrejo wrote:

> I must insist in one point: I'm not interested at all in the use of
> Squeak for developers. Developers usually don't have problems in
> launching a terminal if there're problems and know how to make things
> work. My packaging effort is focused in end users, mainly teachers and
> students.

This is fine. But besides users, there are developers. I can confirm
that many developers appreciate the fact that they can install a given
tool (erlang, coq, whetever) in a hassle-free way:

	apt-get install what-I-need

Even developers. Developers want to *use* a given programming language.
C-programmer wants to invoke gcc. He does not want to compile the gcc
with its four-stage recompilation process beforehand he wants to use it.

Erlang programmer wants to *use* erlang interpreter and the available
libraries. He does not want to build the VM and compile the libraries
when he starts Erlang programming.

Etc.