[squeak-dev] Re: Ubuntu package maintainers help

José Luis Redrejo jredrejo at gmail.com
Mon Apr 20 07:57:04 UTC 2009

2009/4/20 Matej Kosik <kosik at fiit.stuba.sk>

> Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> >> I have looked at it (btw. Jose already created and registered
> >> appropriate package---cool). Is it possible to somehow open a browser,
> >> workspace and such? (in that image)?
> >
> > It's not really meant for Smalltalk development, but you can press
> > alt-shift-w to get the full world menu.
>
> The two images:
> - etoys
> - etoys-dev
> would fit to the Lex's scheme
> http://ftp.squeak.org/debian/squeak-on-debian.pdf
> I think, that whatever Jose wanted to achieve with his separate
> squeak-vm package can be achieved also with our squeak-vm package (now
> they are different).
>
> What would be the advantage?
> - We could keep our rich repository:
>   http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/3616
>   That contains also "licence unclean" packages.
> - Some of those packages could be posted to Debian
>  - etoys
>  - etoys-dev
>  Really, people could then:
>
>        apt-get install etoys
>
>  and run it as:
>
>        etoys
>
> - We would not have to maintain two (three, four, ...)
>  separate squeak-vm package versions.
>
> How does this sound to Lex and especially to Jose?

I'm afraid I don't understand what you mean. Today, if you have the non-free
section in your sources.list, you can do
apt-get install etoys, and it will install the etoys image + squeak-vm
package with the vm.

I'm just waiting to see if there's a way to bootstrap a squeak image from
sources to move the etoys package from non-free to main.

Regards.
José L.