[squeak-dev] Re: Ubuntu package maintainers help

José Luis Redrejo jredrejo at gmail.com
Tue Apr 21 06:42:03 UTC 2009

El 20 de abril de 2009 23:31, Lex Spoon <lex at lexspoon.org> escribió:

> Jose, the packages Matej is now maintaining really are far ahead of the
> ones you have uploaded.  They reflect dozens of hours by at least four
> maintainers, and there have been multiple insights along the way about how
> to make things Just Work for the common use cases.
>
> In case it needs being explicit, here are some things those packages do
> that are not in the ones you have uploaded:
>
> A "squeak" package that pulls in everything a VM, changes, and sources
> file.
> A rich set of images files (hich would need to remain in an external apt
> repository)
> A "squeak" script that works when typed by itself...
> ...and also works with the images and sources packages.
> Desktop menu items.
>
> We should use these packages as a basis going forward.  The DFSG-free ones
> can go into Debian proper, and the others can stay on ftp.squeak.org.  The
> libMPEG issue is a good catch, but it seems pretty trivial, isn't it?  It
> could be disabled for now, and later provided as an external plugin hosted
> on ftp.squeak.org.

After reading all your arguments I only can say the same I wrote in my first
email in this thread: I don't find anything else to do now from my side. I
also think that some of you haven't even checked the package in Debian as
some of the things you say to defend the use of the squeak.org packages are
done by the Debian package too (as the script that works when typed itself
or the Debian menu integration). My main issue is that I don't want the
users to have to use a script to launch anything. With the Debian package
they can click on a squeak image (that appears with a Squeak icon on their
desktops) and open it, or launch squeak from the menus and have a graphical
menu to choose the image they want to use. The vm itself is exactly the
same, with the same bugs in Debian or in Squeak.org. So I don't see any
benefit of using the vm from Squeak.org in Debian, it would be a backwards
step. Obviously I'll be glad to receive patches to make it a better package.

As Matej said previously, the vm package in Squeak.org can be improved.  I
fully agree, and I also do think that we should merge the package, but now
the package in Debian is better from my point of view: it is not
incompatible with the images in squeak.org and gives an easier experience to
the non-technical users. I'm not rejecting anything, I'm just saying that
both packages are very similar, almost the same, but the differences are
still important from my point of view and don't see any reason to upload to
Debian the vm from squeak.org, maybe the opposite would be more reasonable.

Regards.
José L.