[squeak-dev] Re: How do you download the Debian squeak package to ubuntu?

Chris Kassopulo ckasso at sprynet.com
Tue Apr 21 16:53:20 UTC 2009

On Tue, 21 Apr 2009 09:29:15 -0700, Jerome Peace wrote:

> Jose wrote:
>

>>The package in Debian is better from my point of view: it is not
>>incompatible with the images in squeak.org and gives an easier
>>experience to the non-technical users.
>

> Jose: From Ubuntu (hardy heron 8.04), how do I: 1) Find out about the
> package you have gotten Debian offering? 2) Download and install it on
> my computer?
>
> Yours in curiosity and service, --Jerome Peace

Hi Jerome,

Here's how I did it:

1. Uninstall the Ubuntu packages from Synaptic
2. Goto http://packages.debian.org/lenny/squeak-vm
3. Select package for your box from table
4. Accept open with GDebi Debian package installer
5. Let GDebi install it - ignore notice that it is not latest version

After installation it shows up in Synaptic should you need to remove it.

Chris