[squeak-dev] Launching squeak (etoys, scratch) on Ubuntu

Jerome Peace peace_the_dreamer at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 21 17:24:13 UTC 2009

I have read most of the discussions between Bert, and Jose and Matej.

I want for a minute to get back to the original user story I started with.

I want to be able to launch squeak on Ubuntu and have it come up with sound.

I want a user story that sounds like Aladdin and his marvelous lamp. Rub the lamp the Djinn appears and grants all your carefully stated wishes.

Ubuntu has a very rich launcher. You can click or double click one and it will perform a well stated command. You can drag a launcher onto a panel and a copy stays on the panel. You can drag a launcher off a panel or menu and get a copy of it on the desktop.

These copies, I can modify by requesting access to their properties.

The noticed problem is that in the case of the default sqeuak launcher. This does not include sound.

An oversight of the packaging but the cure is more simple that reading and understanding the DFSC or whatever.

The workaround is:
I have a directory with the right plugins.
A directory with a squeak-vm.
A directory with a squeak image and changes and sources.

I tell a launcher all this information in the form of a well stated command.
Voila, I have a perfectly good lamp to hold  my Djinn.

This seemed to me what Jose said he was concerned his package should include.

The packaging issue is about putting all the pieces in the default places. While sufficient it is more than what is necessary.

The pieces must be there.
The lamp must have someway of knowing about them and their location.
Aladdin must know about the lamp.

I imagine I could even have a bootstrap lamp to light the others. I.E. A launcher to go-out find and download and install the various pieces.

What's missing is not the pieces. They exist in various places on the web.

What's missing are the lamps for launching the pieces and the lamps for installing them.
What's also missing is Aladdin's knowledge of the secret of how to get the lamp.

So how do we get Aladdin his lamp in the case of Ubuntu?

I think we need to start with the squeak.org download page.

If Aladdin goes to the download cave and says open "I'm on Ubuntu" that should be all that is required of him to find a download lamp.
If he rubs the download lamp and says. "I'd like a fully functioning squeak on my system. And a lamp to use it with."

Then the Djinn grants that wish.

Then Aladdin can leave the download Djinn in peace. Which, after all this discussion he might be wishing for himself.

Hth,