[squeak-dev] Re: Ubuntu package maintainers help

Jerome Peace peace_the_dreamer at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 23 18:50:50 UTC 2009

Hi Matej,

<snipped a lot>
> I can change the package name from `squeak-plugin' to
> `squeak-web-browser-plugin'. OK?

I think that something like that is necessary. It will also clarify  if we consistently refer to  vm extentders as vmplugins.

> I haven't done this yet. I am looking forward to hear
> from Jose
> regarding the merging process. That's critical.

That's fine. If you and he agree on what to call things that's best.

> > Packagers are somewhat outsiders. It is our duty to be
> very careful with our language about things we want them to
> understand.
> >
> > In particular we will have to mention the difference
> between the vm, the vmplugins and the various things they do
> to extend the power of the vm. This miscommunication is the
> meta-problem of sound being lost on squeak images and the
> bug not being fixed for over a year even though all that is
> needed is copying one file into the vmplugin directory.
>
> I agree. I have added these suggestions to the TODO list.

Cool

> > How does the squeak-plugin image differ from the other
> squeak images?
> > Can any squeak image be nominated for plugin duty or
> is there
> > something that the image has to know how to handle?
>
> I view it as some sort of standards to which people can
> rely to when
> they embed Squeak projects (*.pr files) into web-pages via
> <EMBED>...</EMBED> tags. Obviously, no project
> works in any image.
> Projects that are supposed to work with Squeak plugin has
> to be tested
> with a specific image and squeak-plugin-image is that
> image.

Umm. Ok. So the web-plugin image has a sort of contract with the .pr files that want to be run in it.

Is there any reason why we wish a squeak image for a  web-plugin? Rather than an Etoys-image for the web-plugin. I ask this because Squeakland seems to me to be the only one right now persuing this.
AFAIK they have cornered the market.

I seriously doubt the either the 3.9/3.10 branch wants to pursue maintaining this.
Ditto for the Pharo branch.

Bert: Any insight into this point?

> In theory, any image could be used with squeak-plugin but
> it would
> create a chaos. Creators of projects would not know to what
> properties
> of the image they can rely.
>
> > Like say a command line passed from the browser to the
> image?
> > How can we test images to see if they can be browser
> plugin images as well?
>
> If you figure out, where `squeak-plugin-image' package
> installs
> /usr/share/squeak/SqueakPlugin.image.gz
> the image, you can replace it with your own and see what
> happens.
>
> I think, once I have tried to do it, I think.

It has been easier for me to create launchers to redirect
the pieces. That way I don't have to deal with special permissions. Everything can be in a local directory.

My user story on this: Doing a save as in squeak on Ubuntu sould also create an instance of a desktop launcher for that image. I.E. Squeak should be Ubuntu aware on Ubuntu. But that as the say is another story. (And my next mantis issue.)

> > Also as I was looking at the vmplugins it looked like
> for each supported browser we had a np<browser
> name>Plugin.
> > There was a link to the appropriate plugin from the
> firefox browser on my Ubuntu. So I presume each brower would
> need to be hooked up like that.
>
> I haven't seen such VM plugins.
>

> > Can you help clarify this for me?
When I installed Etoys amoung the things in the vm directory were

/usr/share/Etoys.app/Contents/Linux686/npetoys.so
/usr/share/Etoys.app/Contents/Linux686/npetoysregister
/usr/share/Etoys.app/Contents/Linux686/npetoysrun

and a link
/usr/lib/firefox/plugins/npetoys.so
pointing to
/usr/share/Etoys.app/Contents/Linux686/npetoys.so

in the firefox directory.
I am presuming that is what links the browser to
its helper in this case the Etoys image and stuff.

Jose would know more.