Font rendering (was Re: [squeak-dev] Re: Statistics on merging Cuis with 3.10 on Morph hierarchy)

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Fri Apr 24 14:41:49 UTC 2009

On 24.04.2009, at 13:57, K. K. Subramaniam wrote:

> On Monday 20 April 2009 9:17:38 pm Bert Freudenberg wrote:
>> Linux and Windows users are accustomed to heavily hinted font
>> rendering, looking overly "crisp" because lines are snapped to the
>> screen pixel grid. The result has little resemblance to the true
>> character shape as it would appear when printed on paper, but it's
>> what they are used to. In contrast, Apple's and Adobe's font
>> rendering
>> is much more truthful to the paper appearance, but looks "blurry" to
>> Windows and Linux users
> Squeak's screen and its contents are meant to be consumed on bitmap
> monitors
> and rarely printed on paper, so why should the fonts be optimized
> for paper
> rendering and not display monitors?
>
> Confused .. Subbu

I tried not to argue too much one way or the other, just stating what
the difference appears to be. As I wrote, it's mostly a matter of
taste, and only secondly one of technology. It's still worth
investigating why Balloon rendering looks so blurry, and if there can
be done something about it.

- Bert -