[squeak-dev] Text Editors (was: Re: Cuis updated to #0250)

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Sat Aug 1 05:08:40 UTC 2009

Juan Vuletich wrote:
> Biggest news is a lot of cleanup in the Text system. Gone are the ugly
> TextConstants pool and the old Paragraph class. TextStyle lost over half
> its instance variables and over 80% of its methods. I also added a
> TextEditor to the World menu that is not a Smalltalk Workspace and may
> be useful especially for end users.

I very much like what you've done with the editors. Is it correct that
TextEditor is effectively protocol compatible with the old
TextMorphEditor? If so, what do you think about bringing this into
Squeak and phase out TextMorphEditor? Would this be doable or do you
foresee any problems due to other changes that you might have done? From
what I can see it looks as if this should be possible while preserving
all the Unicode and m17n-goodness that I don't want to give up for
Squeak. But boy, I would like to finally cut the Gordian knot called
ParagraphEditor that ties Morphic and MVC together at the hip ;-)

Cheers,
   - Andreas