[squeak-dev] [ANN] Squeak OpenVG bingings

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Mon Aug 3 02:32:14 UTC 2009

2009/8/3 Michael van der Gulik <mikevdg at gmail.com>:

> On Sun, Aug 2, 2009 at 3:09 AM, Igor Stasenko <siguctua at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hello guys,
>>
>> this is a small project to enable a fast & standard 2D vector graphics
>> API for squeak - OpenVG.
>>
>> The squeak sources is hosted at:
>>  http://www.squeaksource.com/OpenVG
>> <snip - details>
>
> Hi Igor.
>
> You're using the same window as the Squeak display. How are you implementing
> this? Is it somehow using the same framebuffer (Form) as Squeak, or is it
> just reusing the window? I don't really know much about windows GUI
> programming.

I just creating an OpenGL context for main window. The rest is doing
OpenVG engine :)

> i.e. how difficult would it be to open the demo in a completely separate
> window, such as for example when you want to run Squeak headless with this
> demo in a separate window?

nearly as same as difficult at it is now :)
An accelerated rendering engine using an OpenGL, which having a single
current context per thread bound to a particular window (Device
context) at a given point of time.
So, you can create a window, create an OpenGL context for it and draw
there. Then create another window, create another context and draw
there.
But i'm not sure if OpenVG engines allow more than 1 context per application..
API doesn't having a notion of context , nor returns its handle.. So,
it is supposed to be global.

There also a software rendering implementations .. they don't need
OpenGL to run.. But they are a way slower.
I will plan to support both of them.. API can work with any.. Just
need some additional routines to transfer products of rendering to
Form(s)/Display.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.