[squeak-dev] Re: Text Editors

Juan Vuletich juan at jvuletich.org
Mon Aug 3 13:32:28 UTC 2009

Hi Andreas,

Andreas Raab wrote:
> Juan Vuletich wrote:
>
>> I know. Perhaps my anti aliased StrikeFonts could be included in
>> Squeak. I don't know how to handle the creation of instances.
>> Monticello can only handle code, right? No live instances or binary
>> (bmp) files?
>
> We can work this out. In the worst case, initializer methods can carry
> code as well, along the lines of:
>
> blankForm
>   "Created using:
>     (ByteArray streamContents:[:s|
>         PNGReadWriter
>             putForm: (Form extent: 100 at 100 depth: 32)
>             onStream: s]) asString base64Encoded.
>   "
>   ^Form fromBinaryStream: (
> 'iVBORw0KGgoAAAANSUhEUgAAAGQAAABkCAYAAABw4pVUAAAAnklEQVR4XuXBMQEAAADCoPVP
> bQsfIJ/P5/P5fD6fz+fz+Xw+n8/n8/l8Pp/P5/P5fD6fz+fz+Xw+n8/n8/l8Pp/P5/P5fD6f
> z+fz+Xw+n8/n8/l8Pp/P5/P5fD6fz+fz+Xw+n8/n8/l8Pp/P5/P5fD6fz+fz+Xw+n8/n8/l8
> Pp/P5/P5fD6fz+fz+Xw+n8/n8/l8Pp/P5/P5fD6fz3c1nKQAAZiW0oUAAAAASUVORK5CYII='
>    ) base64Decoded asByteArray readStream.
>
> If we stick this into a temporary class that gets deleted in a later
> update then the overhead is temporary.

I have the new fonts working in Squeak 3.10.2. All I need to do now is
to encode the forms as you say, and upload my stuff.

I've just downloaded
http://ftp.squeak.org/current_development/Squeak3.10.2-build/latest/090628-1523_Squeak3.10.2-build.zip
and didn't find #base64Encoded and #base64Decoded in it. I guess I need
to update to the latest trunk, right?

Are there some step by step guide on how to update from the trunk, and
how to later update it with my changes? (I've already followed the
directions in my invitation to be a core developer). I haven't used
Monticello in the last 4 years or so...

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich