[squeak-dev] Computer on a stick

Gary Dunn osp at aloha.com
Mon Aug 3 22:37:00 UTC 2009

On Sun, 2 Aug 2009 10:46:52 K. K. Subramaniam wrote:

> Hi,
>
> It has been a long time since we had a thread on Dynabook vision and Squeak
> hardware, so I thought I will revive it again with a new twist.
>
> We normally think of computer as a big machine into which we stick in
> Etoys2Go sticks to work. Why not reverse the design? How about a Etoys
> console into which we stick a computer strip like gumstix?  If an object
> was conceived as a composable computer why not push it all the way down and
> *out*?
>
> Build a dumb machine with storage and console into which we stick a
> cartridge containing processor(s), memory and network. For a student, the
> most precious records are in storage and the look-n-feel is in the console
> (keyboard,video,mouse or trackpad). Digital data has a much longer life
> than a processor, RAM or network technology. The specific instruction set,
> memory or networking technology is increasingly irrelevant for personal
> computing needs. One does not have to change their whole console just to
> get to upgrade processor, RAM or wifi. We can get off the forced upgrade
> treadmill.
>
> Are there any consoles that work like this?
>
> Subbu

What you describe is not so far off from the central hardware piece of the Open Slate Project. Back when I started OSP, computers were relegated to labs and consumed all available desk space. Being an avid Newton fan I wanted every student to carry around a Message Pad type device which they could use in every class. This evolved into a self-made slate PC with FOSS OS. Lately my thinking is to make Squeak the UI.

The difference between your concept and mine is that an OSP slate will have a display and pen interface. It too can be expanded using USB keyboard and mouse, and large monitor.
--
Gary Dunn, Honolulu
osp at aloha.com
http://openslate.net/