[squeak-dev] want to get squeak running on Gentoo Alpha architecture (compaq es-40)

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Tue Aug 4 04:55:25 UTC 2009

On Mon, Aug 03, 2009 at 11:05:05PM -0500, richard snow wrote:
> I tried to build the sources and ran into a couple problems.  first it
> was trying to use decgcc.  Fixed that in the configure script.
>
> SqMain.c (i think) was trying to include sys/proc.h and I don't have that file.

You will find this #include directive in platforms/unix/vm/sqUnixMain.c,
which includes the proc.h header #if defined(__alpha__). Given that the
build procedure was also trying to use a DEC compiler, my guess is that
the the configure/make is trying to build for some other flavor of unix
on alpha. You may just need to convince the configure script that you
want to use a generic gnu linux running on Alpha.

You may want to ask your question on the vm-dev mailing list
(http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/mailman/listinfo/vm-dev), where
someone more knowledgable can tell you if I'm guessing right. In any
case, any updates to support alpha hardware will certainly be welcome.

Dave