[squeak-dev] Computer on a stick

Gary Dunn osp at aloha.com
Tue Aug 4 10:24:59 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-08-04 at 08:33 +0530, K. K. Subramaniam wrote:
> On Tuesday 04 Aug 2009 4:07:00 am Gary Dunn wrote:
> > The difference between your concept and mine is that an OSP slate will have
> > a display and pen interface. It too can be expanded using USB keyboard and
> > mouse, and large monitor.
> I was trying to project into the future (i.e. what is possible) rather than
> extend from the past. Console technology (display, keypad, pointer) have
> stabilized to a level that is acceptable to the masses - like a steering wheel
> in a car. Processors, Memory and Connectivitiy (wifi, wibro, bluetooth), the
> latent elves, continue to evolve rapidly and will take some more years to
> stabilize. They don't hold consumer data. So it makes sense to factor these
> out into a pluggable cartridge.

Sounds like a laptop and a docking station, minus display and keyboard.
Not so far from an Apple Mac mini. Do you envision a battery to keep it
running, or a cold boot every time? I want what my Newton does, turn it
on and Bam! it's ready to use. ACPI S3 sleep mode just isn't the same.
Even S1, because if the Newton's batteries go dead, nothing is lost. At
least the later models, like my 2100.

--
Gary Dunn, Honolulu
osp at aloha.com