[squeak-dev] Computer on a stick

K. K. Subramaniam subbukk at gmail.com
Tue Aug 4 13:58:06 UTC 2009

On Tuesday 04 Aug 2009 3:54:59 pm Gary Dunn wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-08-04 at 08:33 +0530, K. K. Subramaniam wrote:
> > On Tuesday 04 Aug 2009 4:07:00 am Gary Dunn wrote:
> Sounds like a laptop and a docking station, minus display and keyboard.
> Not so far from an Apple Mac mini.
I was thinking more along the lines of "smartbook" except that the "book" is
not smart at all. I am not convinced that pens are useful as a primary device
for input for general purpose computing. It is very tiring.

If the processor unit is swappable then I can choose one (or even rent one)
which is most appropriate for my current needs. I can plugin a Cortex SoC
while watching movies and then switch to Gumstix for clearing my email.

I have been carrying Etoys on a stick for more than two years now plugging it
into Linux, Mac and Wintel boxes and even into a ARM-based handheld. Others
find it hard to believe that I can switch so easily across diverse machines and
instruction sets. There is enough value in the bag of bits that it is worth
slapping a console on it.

Subbu