[squeak-dev] want to get squeak running on Gentoo Alpha architecture (compaq es-40)

Michael van der Gulik mikevdg at gmail.com
Tue Aug 4 21:25:28 UTC 2009

On Tue, Aug 4, 2009 at 4:23 PM, Alan Grimes <agrimes at speakeasy.net> wrote:

> richard snow wrote:
> > I tried to build the sources and ran into a couple problems.  first it
> > was trying to use decgcc.  Fixed that in the configure script.
>
> Dear god, man! where did you find such an incredible piece of hardware?
>
> I feel like you're trying to drive me to drinking by reminding me yet
> again of how beautiful CPUs could have been but aren't. =(

(slowly getting off-topic here :-) )

Is it only the x86 architecture that is ugly? I found the ARM and MIPS
instruction set quite nice. The ES-40 looks like a rather large piece of
equipment to have in your living room.

My latest materialistic desire: http://www.alwaysinnovating.com/ - the
TouchBook, which is based on the BeagleBoard and runs Linux. It uses an ARM
CPU with a Cortex-A8 core; it includes support for the Thumb-EE instruction
set which is specifically designed for running code generated by JIT
compilers. There's potential there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARM_architecture#Thumb_Execution_Environment_.28ThumbEE.29

Realistically though, I have no use for it and Squeak runs fine on my old
celeron-based desktop.

Gulik.

--
http://gulik.pbwiki.com/