[squeak-dev] Re: [Ann] Enhanced StrikeFonts (antiAliasing, subPixel AA)

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Thu Aug 6 11:31:01 UTC 2009

On 06.08.2009, at 04:34, Juan Vuletich wrote:

> I fixed it. I added an heuristic to the font build script, to
> discard some very light pixels. It looks quite nicer!

Indeed :)

>>> Sure. See Preference #subPixelRenderFonts.
>>
>> Hmm, this does not show up in the Preferences panel ... also, when
>> I disable that, all pixels become full black, so this is unusable.
>
> This is fixed too. BTW, if you're using gray AA and don't care about
> getting subpixelAA anymore, you can do
>    StrikeFont allInstances do: [ :f | f setGlyphsDepthAtMost: 4].
> This will make the fonts use 4 bpp, i.e. 8 gray levels. (In Squeak,
> Forms of 4bpp have 8 gray levels and 8 saturated colors). This is
> quite enough for gray AA. And it will save a lot of space.

Yes works fine now.

One issue I see is when you open appearance - system fonts then in my
image the "window-title font" displays incorrectly. Strangely, I chose
the same font (BitmapDejaVu-12-Bold) as "Etoys title font" and that
shows up fine.

Another issue in that menu is that the currently selected font used to
be highlighted in blue. For the new bitmap fonts this does not happen.

- Bert -