[squeak-dev] Unix OSProcess error

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Thu Aug 6 18:29:25 UTC 2009

Hi -

This morning I was greeted with a sequence of "Error: cannot create OS
pipe" from one of our servers (running RHEL 5.3) and I am trying to
understand what might be causing this. The call stack is included below;
it appears that #makePipeHandles returns nil and I am not sure what
might be causing this. Is there a possibility that there is some limit
on the number of handles that we might be exceeding? Some missing cleanup?

Thanks for any help,
   - Andreas

ExternalPipe>>makePipe
	Receiver: an ExternalPipe
	Arguments and temporary variables:
		handleArray: 	nil
	Receiver's instance variables:
		writer: 	nil
		reader: 	nil
		blocking: 	nil

ExternalPipe>>initialize
	Receiver: an ExternalPipe
	Arguments and temporary variables:

	Receiver's instance variables:
		writer: 	nil
		reader: 	nil
		blocking: 	nil

ExternalPipe class>>blockingPipe
	Receiver: ExternalPipe
	Arguments and temporary variables:

	Receiver's instance variables:
		superclass: 	Stream
		methodDict: 	a MethodDictionary(#atEnd->a CompiledMethod(58:
ExternalPipe>>atEnd...etc...
		format: 	136
		instanceVariables: 	#('writer' 'reader' 'blocking')
		organization: 	('testing' atEnd atEndOfFile closed isPipe)
('accessing' blocking...etc...
		subclasses: 	#(OSPipe)
		name: 	#ExternalPipe
		classPool: 	nil
		sharedPools: 	nil
		environment: 	a SystemDictionary(lots of globals)
		category: 	#'OSProcess-Base'

PipeableOSProcess>>createInputPipe
	Receiver: a PipeableOSProcess on nil
	Arguments and temporary variables:

	Receiver's instance variables:
		dependents: 	nil
		pipeToInput: 	nil
		pipeFromOutput: 	nil
		errorPipelineStream: 	nil
		pipeFromError: 	nil
		processProxy: 	nil
		keepInitialStdOutOpen: 	nil
		keepInitialStdErrOpen: 	nil
		accessProtect: 	a Semaphore()
		completion: 	a Semaphore()

PipeableOSProcess
class>>new:arguments:environment:descriptors:workingDir:errorPipelineStream:
PipeableOSProcess
class>>forkAndExec:arguments:environment:descriptors:workingDir:errorPipelineStream:
PipeableOSProcess
class>>command:environment:workingDir:input:output:error:errorPipelineStream:shellSyntax: