[squeak-dev] Winds of change

Lawson English lenglish5 at cox.net
Fri Aug 7 01:29:47 UTC 2009

I'm trying to learn enough Squeak to allow it to be used as an external
plugin to Second Life. At this point, all it does [will do] is
send/receive packets via IPC from an existing "gridproxy" app that can
selectively intercept/inject standard SL packets on their way to/from
the SL server.

This should allow for some interesting prototyping for SL. A more
powerful implementation  might [someday] use an interface to the
internal events of the second life client.  Which leads me to the
question: what kind of events should be defined to allow a reasonably
robust interaction of an external app and Squeak?

It would be trivial enough to send "make new window" to the event
handler, assuming that such an event existed and to receive simple mouse
movement/updates for Squeak-side processing (e.g. in an offscreen
drawing buffer), but what about more complex and sophisticated
interactions required for implementing things like a Squeak class
browser in the GUI of the main application? What events would be needed
to handle that level of interaction?

It seems to me that it might be easier to go with the standalone
implementation of Squeak talking to the main app via high level events
defined for these things, than try to rewrite the Squeak VM to work as
an embedded VM that needs to directly call the host app's API.

What kind of events would be useful in this scenario? Any thoughts,
suggestions, references to already implemented examples, etc?

Thanks,

Lawson