[squeak-dev] Re: Separating Morphic and MVC

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Fri Aug 7 05:08:51 UTC 2009

David T. Lewis wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 05, 2009 at 10:43:15PM -0700, Andreas Raab wrote:
>> Andreas Raab wrote:
>>
>> Question: Anyone interested in helping with this little project? Either
>> by adding keyboard shortcuts to the Cuis editors or by helping fixing
>> references to obsolete MVC references, or by testing the reloading of MVC?
>
> I'm definitely interested, though a bit short of time. I'll try to help test
> the reloading of MVC.

Great. BTW, one thing that really needs to be done is a major Project
refactoring. I love Projects; I think they are one of the defining
properties of Squeak. Unfortunately, they are a bit out of shape right
now ;-) What we need to do is to figure out how to refactor projects
into something along the lines of:

Project ('parentProject' 'previousProject' 'uiProcess' ...)
   MVCProject ('controlManager' ...)
   MorphicProject ('world' ...)

When this is done properly we suddenly have room for a variety of
actions that are otherwise difficult to handle: From how to deliver a
user interrupt (Project current handleUserInterrupt) over custom
subprojects (B3DWonderlandProject) up to per-project namespaces. There
is a lot of interesting things that can be done with projects.

I'm not sure if you're up for this or not, but it definitely needs to be
done for a completely smooth MVC removal - MVC needs to come with its
own kinds of projects so that we can actually transfer between them,
host them, etc.

Cheers,
   - Andreas