[squeak-dev] Re: Separating Morphic and MVC

Juan Vuletich juan at jvuletich.org
Fri Aug 7 13:14:34 UTC 2009

Andreas Raab wrote:
> Juan Vuletich wrote:
>> I'm willing to help. I can fix the issues in the Cuis text editors.
>> Just point me to the last version of the new editors you have, and
>> any instructions on how to update from the latest trunk.
>
> Cool. I've posted both Editor and TextEditor from Cuis (verbatim
> versions), added a DefaultEditorClass to TextMorph, and a preference
> to control its use. If you go to help>>preferences then search for
> useNewEditors, you can toggle the use of TextMorphEditor vs. TextEditor.
>
> Also, I think your idea of having an explicit class SmalltalkEditor is
> a really good idea. It allows us a number of useful choices: For
> example, for someone shipping an app, you can replace the default
> morphic text editor class with one that doesn't allow users to
> evaluate code in the "find" dialog :^) Plus, the SmalltalkEditor could
> include hooks for syntax highlighting and auto-completion so that
> Shout and others don't need to patch all these other places.

Exactly :) I will add SmalltalkEditor too then. BTW, if this hierarchy
can remain exactly the same as in Cuis it will be much easier for me to
finish the refactoring. There is a lot of code in TextEditor that I'll
be moving down to SmalltalkEditor. If I can do it just once, and use it
both in Cuis and Squeak it would save me a lot of time.

> BTW, I'm not sure what you mean by instructions on how to update from
> the current trunk. It should "just work". If you are encountering any
> problems please do report them.

Great! I guess I'm not used to things being always there. I was
expecting you to have some change set lying around. The trunk is way cool!

I expect to have the new editors working during this weekend.

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich