[squeak-dev] Re: Separating Morphic and MVC

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Fri Aug 7 21:01:59 UTC 2009

On Fri, Aug 7, 2009 at 6:04 AM, Juan Vuletich <juan at jvuletich.org> wrote:

> Andreas Raab wrote:
>
>> David T. Lewis wrote:

>>> I'm definitely interested, though a bit short of time. I'll try to help
>>> test
>>> the reloading of MVC.
>>>

>> Great. BTW, one thing that really needs to be done is a major Project
>> refactoring. I love Projects; I think they are one of the defining
>> properties of Squeak. Unfortunately, they are a bit out of shape right now
>> ;-) What we need to do is to figure out how to refactor projects into
>> something along the lines of:
>>
>> Project ('parentProject' 'previousProject' 'uiProcess' ...)
>>  MVCProject ('controlManager' ...)
>>  MorphicProject ('world' ...)
>>
>> When this is done properly we suddenly have room for a variety of actions
>> that are otherwise difficult to handle: From how to deliver a user interrupt
>> (Project current handleUserInterrupt) over custom subprojects
>> (B3DWonderlandProject) up to per-project namespaces. There is a lot of
>> interesting things that can be done with projects.
>>
>> I'm not sure if you're up for this or not, but it definitely needs to be
>> done for a completely smooth MVC removal - MVC needs to come with its own
>> kinds of projects so that we can actually transfer between them, host them,
>> etc.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>  - Andreas
>>

> How do you see Projects trying to maintain their own changes? I removed
> Projects from Cuis because I don't like them trying to look as if they could
> isolate changes when they can't. Perhaps some Monticello magic here? Or
> simply to make Project _not_ to carry any code with them? Then, some
> indication of what they require from the host image would be in order...

But if you use a multi-window manager you don't expect the file system to be
different underneath every screen.  Projects are really useful as is and
still use projects even though the bulk of my work is against a Monticello
repository.  With the change sorter the connection between change set and
project is not a hard and fast one anymore and that's a good thing; it can
be tedious to switch projects just to add a change elsewhere.  But being
able to have a collection of windows clustered around some project is great.
 But I miss tools for them, e.g. a search tool for strings in workspaces
across projects, an auto-save-to-files facility for workspaces so I don't
lose their contents when my Mac's screen saver locks up and I have to
reboot.  Sigh.