[squeak-dev] Re: Services?

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Tue Aug 11 05:22:04 UTC 2009

Colin Putney wrote:
> No, that's FileServices. (See the class FileServices, which not part of
> the Services package that Andreas was asking about.)

Yes, exactly.

> IIRC, Services was introduced in Squeak 3.9 as a generalization of
> FileServices, but hasn't been used much. It seems to overlap with
> AppRegistry as well. I looked at using them in OmniBrowser, but they
> didn't fit my needs.

Thanks, so it looks like it's largely unused. How would people feel
about switching Services for some of more immediate value, say Shout?
Personally I'd say I take a lot more value out of Shout than Services
and they seem to be of roughly the same size. Plus it would pave the way
for a direct integration of Shout into our shiny new editors ;-)

Opinions?

Cheers,
   - Andreas