[squeak-dev] Hello / Quick Question

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Wed Aug 12 11:12:27 UTC 2009

On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 09:16:02PM -0700, Ronald Spengler wrote:
> Hello Squeakers!

Hello and welcome!

> I've been reading the list for a spell, I really love Squeak, and I've
> decided that I'd like to help out. I was wondering if there were any
> particular areas of the trunk that people thought could use a bit more
> testing (unit or otherwise.) Also, I get the impression that Squeak's
> in-image documentation is pretty weak in some spots. I have very little time
> to devote, so I thought that doing a spot of testing, or writing a class
> comment here or there might be a good way to do something small that still
> makes a difference.
>
> Any recommendations?

Pick something that you find personally interesting, and work on that.

Class comments are actually a very worthwhile contribution. It's
deceptively hard to write them, because you have to figure out the
original design intent of the author, then communicate it clearly
in a few words. But if you can do this well, a little bit of work
on making good class comments will be appreciated by thousands of
people who read them later on.

Another source of ideas is to browse though the bug reports on
Mantis at bugs.squeak.org. In many cases you can find an issue
where someone is looking for feedback or has a fix that needs to
be tested, or has a problem that needs a solution.

Dave