[squeak-dev] bad URL in instruction on how to build Unix VM from sources

Jecel Assumpcao Jr jecel at merlintec.com
Wed Aug 12 20:13:09 UTC 2009

Ricardo Moran wrote:
> Hi, I don't know much about unix but I followed David Mitchell's advice
> and uploaded a "One click experience" package here:
> http://tecnodacta.com.ar/gira/ParallelPort.7.rar. I believe it should
> work, I tested it on ubuntu 9.04.

That had indeed worked perfectly. But in the context of his project, my
friend needs to be able to compile custom VMs (something I have not
bothered to do myself so far).

Bert Freudenberg wrote:
> I assume you meant to send this to vm-dev?

Since the main question was about a web page rather than VMs themselves,
I wasn't sure what the best place was. Ken also suggested vm-dev on
#squeak so I was able to forward this there when I saw that I already
had the replies I needed :-)

> Anyway, I just downloaded Squeak-3.7-7.i686-pc-linux-gnu.tar.gz and
> FFI is in there. So I don't know why you think FFI is not "included by
> default". Same for the source tarball, the pre-generated sources for
> FFI are there as well as the cross-platform and unix sources.

I meant not included in plugins.int nor plugins.ext. There was a
discussion about this many years ago on this list which gave me the
impression that it was considered a security risk and so should be
optional.

> And VMMaker does not let you drag a plugin if it cannot find the
> platform files that plugin needs. So enter the path to the platforms
> directory correctly, then it should work.

The path was indeed wrong. I guess the other plugins were found in
/Cross/ and so worked just fine. Thanks for the tip!

-- Jecel