[squeak-dev] Re: Hello / Quick Question

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Thu Aug 13 03:15:28 UTC 2009

Ronald Spengler wrote:
> As the FNG, class comments are very important to me. I propose:
>
> We should ship a release soon. That's maybe the most important thing in
> the universe right now.

Personally I'm not in a hurry to finalize a new release. That's mostly
because I would like to concentrate on the contribution process for now
and make sure it's being accepted and the kinks worked out. Once we
start looking at release issues there will be a whole new set of issues
that I'd like to separate from the main contribution process.

> That said, as the FNG, I would like to propose a general standard:
>
> - There should be an informative class comment for each class in the
> base image.

I agree with this goal.

> - Within reason, classes which are in the core image should have a
> comment written in a consistent style (e.g., "I represent...")

I'm a bit hesitant on that one.

> - It's okay to ship a release without meeting the above two objectives,
> as long as we make progress toward the above two objectives.

Obviously. Having the above as requirements for a release makes little
sense.

> I personally would not mind wandering the image, looking for crappy or
> missing class comments, fixing them where I can, and asking the list for
> advice where I can't. I imagine that I could learn a lot that way:)
>
> What do the lovely people of squeak-dev think?

Sounds good. Give it a shot. Pick a package, work through the comments,
ask questions and see how people like the result. I recommend taking a
package that isn't too big and that fits your interests.

> For those not-in-the-know, the 'NG' in FNG stands for New Guy. I can't
> remember that the 'F' stands for.

Fancy. It stands for fancy.

Cheers,
   - Andreas