[squeak-dev] UUID plugin crashes on Linux

hannes.hirzel hannes.hirzel at gmail.com
Thu Aug 13 06:21:52 UTC 2009

Alexander Lazarević wrote:
> Thanks to all of you who have replied and suggested to remove the
> UUIDPlugin. This did the trick. Why not use the UUIDGenerator all the
> time? What's the advantage of using libuuid? Are the benefits that
> high that it is worth having a crashing vm on many unbuntu systems?
> Just wondering. :S
>
> Regards,
>  Alex

Yes, I would like to join into these thanks as well.

The Ubuntu installation instructions which work are

1) Get and install
http://squeakvm.org/unix/release/Squeak-3.10-6.i686-pc-linux-gnu.tar.gz

2) use the image
http://squeakvm.org/win32/release/Squeak-3.10.2-trunk.zip

3) Remove the plugin (file)

   UUIDPlugin

in the directory /usr/local/lib/squeak/3.10-6

(adapted from:
http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2009-August/138227.html)

Suggestion: It might be useful to have
something like Squeak-3.10.6a-pc-linux-gnu.tar.gz

which just eliminates step 3)

 <http://squeakvm.org/unix/release/Squeak-3.10-6.i686-pc-linux-gnu.tar.gz>

For many  people that VM would then be fine for the time being.

Hannes