Bug tracking policy (was Re: [squeak-dev] Re: Trunk now Toolbuilderized)

Michael Haupt mhaupt at gmail.com
Fri Aug 14 09:48:31 UTC 2009

Hi,

On Fri, Aug 14, 2009 at 11:35 AM, Bert Freudenberg<bert at freudenbergs.de> wrote:

>>> This is a valid proposal. Who does support it? Who is against?
>>
>> I'd vote for mandatory reporting.
>
> So if I notice a typo that was introduced yesterday, I'd not only fix it,
> but also I'd have to open a bug report and immediately resolve it? Just
> making sure I understand.

good grief. And I thought *I* had bureaucratic traits. :-P

Who is the trunk for? For everyday users? I guess not. There should be
stable releases that are fit for everyday use. Whoever updates to the
most recent trunk version should be aware that there may be things in
progress.

The other way around, whoever uses the trunk image should update
before doing anything else immediately after starting the image. That
way, they always have the latest code - including bugfixes.

As for reporting, I'd strongly opt for not having to report (and
attach a changeset) every little thing I can immediately fix. Why
should the fix be stored in two different places: the trunk, and
Mantis? It's waste.

On the other hand, if someone who is not a core developer identifies
an issue, OR if a core developer finds an issue that is not easy to
fix right away, it should be reported.

This morning I removed an obsolete test case from the trunk, along
with a method. This was not really a bug, it just was one of the
reasons that the bar would not go green, but in no way an indicator
for some fault in the code in the image as such. I feel awkward when I
read I should have reported *this* as a *bug*.

Best,

Michael