[squeak-dev] Problem with typing Czech characters in Squeak 3.10 on Ubuntu 9.04

Michal Perutka michal.perutka at gmail.com
Fri Aug 14 14:10:02 UTC 2009

Hi all,

I need to type Czech characters in Squeak. I have a latin2 font, so I tried
to setup latin2 environment in Squeak as follows:

StrikeFontSet installExternalFontFileName6: 'latin2.out'
    encoding: 14
    encodingName: #Latin2
    textStyleName: #DefaultMultiStyle.

Locale switchToID: (LocaleID isoLanguage: 'cs').

It seems OK, I can see Czech characters with diacritical marks, for example
using this in Workspace:
(Character value: 236) asString convertFromEncoding: 'iso-8859-2'

Now when I run Squeak on Ubuntu by this:

LANG="cs_CZ.ISO-8859-2"
LC_ALL="cs_CZ.ISO-8859-2"
squeak

I can type lower case Czech letters ě š č ř ž ý á í é ů ú - the keyboard
keys with these letters works. But when I press a key with diacritical mark
+ some character key, I get only the character followed by a question mark,
e? s? c? for example. So I am not able to type Czech upper case characters
(like Ě Š Č etc.).

Where is the problem ? In Squeak VM (I use last 3.10-6 version) or in Squeak
itself? Please help.

Thanks

Michal