[squeak-dev] [trunk] strange issue on Ubuntu: failed to write image file

Alexander Lazarević laza at blobworks.com
Fri Aug 14 19:33:03 UTC 2009

Hallo Michael,

maybe you could install strace on your machine and do something like this:

strace -e trace=open -e signal=none squeakvm squeak.image 2>&1 | grep "\.image"

On a write protected image this gives (with image in /tmp):

open("squeak.image", O_RDONLY)          = 3
open("/tmp/squeak.image", O_WRONLY|O_CREAT|O_TRUNC, 0666) = -1 EACCES
(Permission denied)

If this isn't the case you might want to remove the last pipe to grep
and see all open calls. Or widen the trace from open to desc (all
calls concerning descriptors). Or ... man strace is readable.

Just my 2€¢,
  Alex