Bug tracking policy (was Re: [squeak-dev] Re: Trunk now Toolbuilderized)

Joshua Gargus schwa at fastmail.us
Fri Aug 14 21:40:36 UTC 2009

Keith Hodges wrote:

> You will not be able to replace the need for actual vision, actual
> leadership, actual management, and actual testing with a bunch of random
> undocumented commits to "trunk".

I find it difficult to give your arguments my full consideration when
you mix what may be good points with obvious fallacies.

For instance, you consistently speak of "undocumented commits".
However, each commit has a comment associated with it, so it is clearly
not "undocumented".  Whether the comment gives a good overview of the
intent/implementation/etc. of that package-version depends on how much
effort the developer puts into it.  However, this is clearly no
different from commenting on an issue on Mantis; the comment may be
enlightening or useless, and nothing in the technology can force it to
be one or the other.

Also, you can replace "bunch of random undocumented commits to trunk"
with "Mantis and Bob the Builder" and it would be just as true.  How
much of this is intended as a constructive criticism (because it isn't),
and how much is an emotional response to your (understandably, to a
certain extent) hurt feelings?

Cheers,
Josh