Bug tracking policy (was Re: [squeak-dev] Re: Trunk now Toolbuilderized)

Frank Shearar frank.shearar at angband.za.org
Sat Aug 15 18:39:45 UTC 2009

Bert Freudenberg wrote:

>>> This is a valid proposal. Who does support it? Who is against?
>>
>> I'd vote for mandatory reporting.
>
> So if I notice a typo that was introduced yesterday, I'd not only fix
> it, but also I'd have to open a bug report and immediately resolve it?
> Just making sure I understand.

Thinking more on the issue, and on my own workflow, here's what I think:
  if I'm the Foo package maintainer, and I noticed a typo bug or
something else minor, I'd just commit the change (with a decent commit
message).

If someone else found a bug, I'd expect them to file a bug report,
possibly with a fix. The point of attaching the fix is to allow me time
to review the fix, maybe discuss the issue with the reporter, and the
like. This is where Mantis shines.

This works well for a nicely separated package. I suppose Keith's
bugbear is not around this, but around everyone hacking in the big lump
of _unseparated_ packages?

frank