[squeak-dev] Re: Title bar bug on trunk

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Sun Aug 16 03:15:32 UTC 2009

Ian Trudel wrote:
> Another issue but with the trunk. I have tried to update code from the
> trunk into my image but there's a proxy error with source.squeak.org
> right at this minute, which causes Squeak to freeze for a minute or
> two trying to reach the server.

It seems to be fine now. Probably just a temporary issue.

>> This is mostly a memory issue. The new fonts are memory intensive so we need
>> to be careful about how many of those we include.
>
> Concretely, does it mean we are limited in the font sizes for any
> given font loaded into Squeak?

It just means we should limit ourselves. We can include more fonts but
each takes a good chunk of memory (depending on point size) so we should
pick them carefully. You might want to ask Juan if he can post a "full"
set of point sizes somewhere that people can load and then we pick the
three most relevant sizes ("small", "regular" and "title" font). The
current set was picked by Juan and it works well for me.

> Editing the workspace doesn't produce a change set nor monticello
> recognize the change. I am not exactly sure how to push this change in
> a monticello way. If you give me quick instructions, I will be glad to
> do it.

One of the weaknesses of Monticello. I'd recommend adding a menu entry
in the help menu (or reusing the "about this system..." entry) to put up
a workspace with the proper text. Then you can construct the text via:

text := 'Here goes the red bold text.!
]style[(14 3 1 4 6)f1,f1cred;,f1,f1b,f1!' readStream nextChunkText.
(Workspace new contents: text) openLabel: 'About this image'.

To create the formatting for the text, simply inspect a workspace and
execute:

String streamContents: [:s| s nextChunkPutWithStyle: model contents].

This should do the trick.

Cheers,
   - Andreas