[squeak-dev] Re: Our process, some loose ideas regarding DS + MC

Ralph Johnson johnson at cs.uiuc.edu
Sun Aug 16 16:00:24 UTC 2009

Göran Krampe explained how DS gets loaded into two phases.  First, the
Delta gets read from a file and turnd into an object in the image, but
no classes are changed.  Second, the Delta is applied, i.e. it changes
the classes.

Igor Stasenko replied

> My concern is different - the ability to 'offload' the bulk data from
> image to persistent storage and be able to reload it
> back in case of need.
> This is what .source & .changes files serving for with more or less success.
> So, in this respect, do you see how we could improve the state of
> affairs , taking in account my proposal, that
> lets call it a 'hibernated' Delta (one which offloaded data from image
> to some storage) could carry a pointer to resource which holding all
> the information which needed to 'unhibernate' it. URI/URL mechanism..

Is DS going to replace .source and .changes?  I did not think it was.
I thought it was competing more directly with .cs files and, to a
certain extent, with Monticello.    Thus, if you only want to load a
program and run it, you won't need to keep the Deltas around once you
have applied them.

-Ralph