[squeak-dev] Customizing out-of-box appearance (was Re: Title bar bug on trunk)

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Mon Aug 17 07:21:02 UTC 2009

On 17.08.2009, at 07:57, Ian Trudel wrote:

> 2009/8/16 Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de>:
>> On 16.08.2009, at 22:35, Ian Trudel wrote:
>>>
>>> Now everything seems clear. My first thought was to save an image,
>>> which isn't gonna cut it with Monticello. What you propose is to
>>> add a
>>> button to open a new window, rather than providing a trunk image
>>> with
>>> the license notice already present. It doesn't feel quite right.
>>> Wouldn't it be possible to save a project and upload it to a
>>> repository? Or, perhaps, we should have a container class to prepare
>>> the trunk image, where a project could be stored.
>>

>> Add it to a subclass of ReleaseBuilder. This is run to produce a
>> release
>> image from a developer image. For example, for the Etoys release we
>> pre-load
>> a couple of projects, including the project first visible when
>> starting up
>> an image.
>>
>> - Bert -
>
> Bert,
>
> I like the idea. Is it currently used to produce the trunk image?

I don't think so, but IMHO we should.

> To use it, it's necessary to execute ReleaseBuilder new
> prepareReleaseImage and that's it?

In principle, yes. In practice you would create a
ReleaseBuilderFor3dot11 subclass (I guess) to put stuff specific to
3.11 there, but common edits would go into the superclass. For the
trunk we might add a ReleaseBuilderTrunk subclass, or re-use the
ReleaseBuilderDeveloper class (this is left-over from the 3.8 /
Squeakland '05 release I think), or indeed use the ReleaseBuilder
class itself ... I'm not sure.

Anyway, to build the OLPC Etoys releases I used these scripts:
http://etoys.laptop.org/src/Content/mkRelease.sh
http://etoys.laptop.org/src/Content/mkRelease.st
That's a very poor man's Bob ;)

- Bert -