[squeak-dev] Re: Problem with typing Czech characters in Squeak 3.10 on Ubuntu 9.04

Michael van der Gulik mikevdg at gmail.com
Mon Aug 17 22:12:21 UTC 2009

On Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 9:12 AM, Yoshiki Ohshima <yoshiki at vpri.org> wrote:

> At Fri, 14 Aug 2009 23:18:11 +0200,
> Michal Perutka wrote:
> >
> > So, in EventSensor>>processKeyboardEvent: I inserted a line
> > Transcript show: evt asString; show: String cr.
> > (or I can insert that line in
> ISO88592InputInterpreter>>nextCharFrom:firstEvt:, the result is the same)
> >
> > Then, when I type ? (=225), I get
> > #(2 2841355 225 1 0 225 0 0)
> > #(2 2841355 225 0 0 225 0 0)
> > #(2 2841506 225 2 0 225 0 0)
> >
> > When I type acute accent key and then a (=97), first I get
> > #(2 2862057 180 2 0 0 0 0)
> >
> > then
> > #(2 2872015 97 1 0 97 0 0)
> > #(2 2872015 97 0 0 97 0 0)
> > #(2 2872015 769 1 0 769 0 0)
> > #(2 2872015 769 0 0 769 0 0)
> > #(2 2872191 97 2 0 97 0 0)
> >
> > and as result I get a?, not ?
>
>  The VM appears to be sending the base character and the compostion
> accent character.  Which itself is correct but the image side has to
> do something.

Assuming the Unicode characters 97 ("a") followed by 301 (composing ') in a
String, should the correct behaviour be to consider this one character or
two?

Given the String 'xxa'xx' (where "a" is Unicode #97 and the middle ' is
Unicode #301), would "String at: 3" return a single composed character or
uncomposed character?

Or should Unicode-able Strings not be indexable at all to completely
circumvent issues like this?

Gulik

--
http://gulik.pbwiki.com/