[squeak-dev] Re: Problem with typing Czech characters in Squeak 3.10 on Ubuntu 9.04

Yoshiki Ohshima yoshiki at vpri.org
Mon Aug 17 22:24:51 UTC 2009

At Mon, 17 Aug 2009 14:38:00 -0700,
Andreas Raab wrote:

> Yoshiki Ohshima wrote:
> >   The VM appears to be sending the base character and the compostion
> > accent character.  Which itself is correct but the image side has to
> > do something.
> >
> > In the Etoys image, there is a class called
> > UnicodeCompositionStream.  If you stick "97 (= 16r61) and 769 (=
> > 16r301) to that stream, you get out of the accented a.
>
> Sweet! I was just looking at it, it looks as if the code that generated
> the mapping was stripped out. Do you still have it somewhere? Also, is
> the rule of combinations complete or does it only cover the common
> combination rules?

  Hehe, probably proper comments in methods and classes would be a
good idea, as the method comment is wrong and there is nothing tells
you (err, us, really) what to do.

  But here it is.  Download the following:

http://unicode.org/Public/UNIDATA/UnicodeData.txt

put it in the directory with your image.  And then evaluate:

CombinedChar parseCompositionMappingFrom:
   ((FileStream readOnlyFileNamed: 'UnicodeData.txt') wantsLineEndConversion: true)

would do it.  (Actually the resulting dictionaries are bigger than the
ones in the Etoys image.  It hasn't been updated sometime...)

-- Yoshiki