[squeak-dev] Re: Shout

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Tue Aug 18 08:10:32 UTC 2009

Andreas Raab wrote:
> Ah. I think I wasn't clear here. The goal is to provide syntax
> highlighting hooks directly in SmalltalkEditor (see the earlier
> discussion about the SmalltalkEditor/TextEditor distinction). These
> hooks just happen to look a lot like the extension methods Shout uses
> today ;-) But by the end of the day, all you will need from Shout are
> the categories Shout-Parsing and Shout-Styling and you will get
> highlighting without extra dependencies. If you happen to write an
> alternative package that can be utilized with the same protocol you will
> be able to hook this in seamlessly. And if you think that syntax
> highlighting is a waste of memory, you can just unload Shout.

The hooks are now in place. If you update from the trunk, you can load
shout, it will work out of the box, and none of its extension methods
have any impact whatsoever (other than to litter your image a little ;-)
I'm lobbying Andy to make a release so that we can only use the "core"
pieces of shout (Shout-Parsing and Shout-Styling); as soon as we got
that we're ready to push shout into the trunk.

In case you're curious, I implemented this by adding a subtype to the
ToolBuilder text spec, a code pane spec. It's specific intent is for
code editing so it does by default use syntax highlighting (and perhaps
auto-completion and other purely coding-related facilities). I also
renamed some of the shout specific methods (shoutAboutToStyle:) to just
be called, e.g., #aboutToStyle: to avoid conflicts with the extensions
in Shout (these are installed but not used if you're running trunk images).

So ... anyone having a good code completion handy?

Cheers,
   - Andreas