[squeak-dev] 3.11 and the trunk

Göran Krampe goran at krampe.se
Wed Aug 19 07:54:38 UTC 2009

Hi!

Andreas Raab wrote:
>  And I think we can do
> both at the same time without being in an endless heated conflict.
>
> Comments welcome.

I admit (and I think most of us do) that I haven't fully read all posts
in all this and thus I really don't grok all angles BUT:

- I must say I am surprised to hear that the board, including you
Andreas, have totally "missed" that 3.11 was about tools & process and
not about an artifact. I mean, it must have been said about 137 times!
One can argue about if it was a smart move to designate a release to the
task of finding a process and getting tools in shape - but I find it odd
that this comes as a revelation this late in the game.

- Keith has more or less said that the trunk effort is counter
productive in comparison to his/their 3.11 effort. Personally I might
think it is a gray area, but even so - perhaps once and for all - with a
pedagogic mindset - explaining to us all how this is so and also
describing "trunk" and "bob" in some way that all of us can grok it...
would let us come to some conclusion.

Finally:

At this point I don't really give a rats about the above! :) I just want
us to heal, embrace, drink beer and find a way to move on. This "war"
has hurt us I think, I always brag about Squeak/Smalltalk being a very
friendly place, but it has slipped a bit lately. And thinking that it
might have been my posts setting off the fire doesn't really make it
feel better ;)

BTW, can we please get our current status/process "trunk" or "bob" or
whatever we are using these days written down on squeak.org in an
official manner? Perhaps this is already done.

This also goes for the 3.11 team - does it even exist anymore? Let us
get our act together.

regards, Göran